Since your roof is something you rarely think about unless there’s a problem, it can be hard to know where to start when you need a local roofing company. In this blog post, Goliath Roofing and Remodeling, a local roofing company in Houston, will review tips on what to look for when you need a roof replacement, a roof repair, or even gutter cleaning. Contact us today to learn more!
HOW TO CHOOSE A LOCAL ROOFING COMPANY
- Ask your friends. Probably the absolute best way to choose a local roofing company when you need a roof repair is to ask for referrals from your friends, family, and co-workers. There’s nothing better than hearing from someone you trust about their experience using a service you need. While this is true for all businesses, it’s especially helpful for services that last a long time and that are costly, such as roofing services. You want to get the most out of your money and you want a top-notch job so ask away!
- Read online reviews. With the advent of the internet, you not only can find more goods and services you need and want, but you can also find too many goods and services. This can be problematic when there are dozens of local roofers in the Houston area. Luckily, the other side of the double-edged sword of the internet is now you have second-hand referral sources from online reviews. Most people don’t hesitate at all to leave reviews (and good businesses encourage this). While some online reviews are angry customers wishing to grind an ax, the vast majority are people just leaving their experiences. Approach online reviews with this mindset, and you’ll find out quickly if the local roofing company you are looking for is for you.
- Check for licensing. It’s an absolute deal-breaker if your local roofer is not licensed and insured. You probably hear that phrase a lot, but all it means is that if something happens to someone on the job site, they are covered. More formally, having licensing means they have a relevant professional license and/or training. All states are different as are all trades. Some professions have to be licensed by the state in order to operate. For roofers in Texas, being licensed is not a requirement, but it is encouraged by the state. However, Texas is unique in that certain cities may require licensure in order to operate in their city limits. It’s always a good idea to obtain a professional train license. A license proves to customers that you are serious about what you do. Liability insurance is the minimum amount to have in the state of Texas, which not only covers accidents while the roofing job is being done, but it also covers the homeowner. Goliath Roofing and Remodeling is insured, and you can check out our profile on the local Better Business Bureau as well.
- Cheaper is not always better. As you probably know, you get what you pay for. If you want a top quality roof with the best roofing materials that will last you a lifetime (or close to it), then it will be more expensive than the cheaper roofing materials. Similarly, most local roofing companies who have a stellar reputation in your local community will charge more for their installation services because you are also purchasing their expertise over another roofer. Great roofers also guarantee their work and labor, so you know you’ll get a great roof repair or roof installation.
- Avoid the storm chasers. Like the nomenclature implies, storm chasers monitor weather reports and show up suddenly a day or two after a devastating hail storm, wind storm, or tornado to offer their roofing services. These people are usually high-pressure salesmen looking to get a commitment from you for roofing services. They often do shoddy jobs and are in a rush to chase the next storm. You’ll want to stay local and make sure you hire a local roofing company instead.
- Obtain a written estimate. All reputable roofers will provide you with a written estimate ahead of time and give you all the information you need in order to make a decision. This not only helps you decide, but also helps the local roofing company who can then ensure they have all their numbers right. You don’t want to be overcharged, and your roofers don’t want to undercharge you as well since they need to cover their costs.
- Make sure they care. What Goliath Roofing and Remodeling means by this is make sure your local roofer in invested in you and your roofing project. Do they promptly return phone calls? Are they patient when answering your questions? Do they make sure your roofing installation is convenient for you? Did they do a good clean up job afterwards? Do they communicate regularly on the status of your roofing job? Make sure you’re not just another number in the queue.
THE BEST LOCAL ROOFING COMPANY IN HOUSTON
Goliath Roofing and Remodeling is the best local roofing company in Houston. With over 20 years of roofing experience, we offer both residential and commercial roofing repair and installations. In addition, we offer remodeling services, from installing tile and repairing fencing to helping with gutter installation and cleanup and painting services. We can take care of all your exterior home needs. Call us today for your free roof inspection or free roof or remodeling estimate!